Simple Clean Eating The Jeep Momma Way January 09 2014, 0 Comments
Clean eating means different things to different people. There is a ton of information on the internet to pour through -- it was very overwhelming. So, I decided to live by my motto -- Live Simple. I just needed to sit down and define what clean eating means to me.
- Get rid of the chemicals by reducing the amount of processed foods.
- No more whites - sugar, white flour, white rice
- Eat Healthy grains - wild rice, kasha, barley, quinoa, Ezekiel bread (Trader Joes)
- More healthy fats -- real butter, whole eggs, raw nuts, avocado, coconut oil
- Treat yourself - but define when and how often
- Stick to foods with only 5 to 6 ingredients
- Organic fruits and vegies
- Stick to non-starch, low-carb vegies -- mushrooms, okra, celery, zuchinni, spinach, kale (GREEN!)
- Define what clean eating means to you
- Clean out your fridge and pantry - I took all my food out of the cupboards and pantry. I only kept what was on my list of Clean Eating foods. Then I decided to change the way I organized my food. This helps me from going back to the old rut of eating. However, I did have to keep some of the foods I won't eat because my kids would starve -- they are very resistant to change.
- Throw out anything that says Fat Free (except Greek yogurt) - BAD for you!
- Research and plan your menu
- Grocery shop & prep - I will be doing this once a week to stick by my live simple plan. I will also stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables. I've heard these are more likely fresher than fresh fruits and vegetables because they are frozen in their freshest state. This will save trips to the store. Make sure you read the labels. Sometimes frozen produce will have added sugar.
- Simple Easy Meals - use my crock pot more